The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching is looking for a Managing Director, Conferences & Events to lead external-facing event production of Foundation events on virtual event platforms and in-person gatherings for stakeholders including, but not limited to, donors, partners, media, practitioners, and Board of Trustees, ensuring events are on brand and on message. This work will include co-leading efforts to help the Foundation explore the viability of local, regional, and national instantiations of its annual Summit conference as a resource to practitioners and institutional leaders seeking better outcomes for students.
For 15 years, the Foundation has pioneered the development of improvement methods, tools, resources, processes, and mindsets. Since the inaugural conference in 2014, the Summit has grown to engage more than 2,000 registered attendees with a $1.8 million budget annually. The Summit provides for those new to improvement, opportunities to learn about the productive use of improvement principles, networks, and supportive methods and tools; for those already engaged in improvement, opportunities to present their progress in sessions and at poster receptions; and for all attendees, a space for learning about practices that are resulting in measurable improvements and achieving ambitious goals for students. We desire to expand engagement and constituency building around Improvement Science as well as the Foundation’s other emerging priorities within the U.S. and globally in the coming years, catalyzing transformational change in education so that every student has the opportunity to live a healthy, dignified, and fulfilling life.
This position will work closely with Foundation staff including Associates, the Events Manager, Project Managers, and Program Coordinators to execute the Summit and other key events.
Event Strategy and Planning
- Partner with Foundation leadership to ensure the Summit and potential instantiations have a sustainable funding model to support operations and growth.
- Develop and oversee an annual event calendar for the organization, in consultation with leadership and key program teams.
- Work with program staff to ensure that programming for events develops skills, supports the field, and builds constituencies to achieve the Foundation’s strategic priorities.
- Develop, manage, and implement the strategic plan and budget for each event.
- Identify and secure potential sponsors ensuring positive sponsor experiences.
- Identify additional revenue streams and strategies to meet revenue targets.
- Develop and grow alliances and partnerships with other organizations to support and accelerate the Foundation’s strategic priorities.
- Develop an event protocol to ensure consistency and quality of all events and target audiences
- Oversee and execute high-quality event planning and logistics including site selection, contract negotiation, vendor management, attendee experience, and event debriefs.
- Direct keynote and speaker recruitment, engagement, and coordination for events, in partnership with the Foundation leadership team.
- Develop and provide leadership for a diverse team that is responsible for the overall high-quality execution of all events.
- Oversee the development and administration of participant event surveys and other mechanisms to measure effectiveness of events and identify ongoing improvements for future events in partnership with the Evidence & Analytics team.
- Oversee the engagement and training of all Foundation staff to provide high quality on-site event support.
- Provide status updates on event planning, financials, and post-event evaluations.
Event Design, Production and Coordination
- Oversee all aspects of event execution from site selection to program development, marketing, sponsorships, and VIP management
- Oversee the utilization of systems and tools to support the management of event attendee, accreditation and lodging, and the creation of event run-of-shows for internal and external stakeholders
- Direct all on-site logistics including speaker check-in, room sets, audio visual, labor, etc. and troubleshoot as necessary.
- Perform site visits, develop relationships with venue leadership to ensure that the venue is adequate and functions up to standards.
- Oversee all day-of event logistics such as schedule creation and management and directing staff.
- Oversee the production of event programs and mobile apps and ensure all proper elements and requirements are met
- Identify and engage prospective keynote presenters aligned with conference messaging and identify opportunities for event appearances by leaders across the organization.
- Maintain a national speaker registry of events where Foundation staff is speaking
- Partner with communications, marketing, and design professionals to develop core messages, and ensure consistent branding
- Coordinate with relevant team members to market to key audiences and keep website and other channels updated with relevant event information
- Work with the VP of Strategy, Finance and Operations to identify markets,
- Work with communications and marketing professionals to engage key audiences through social media, email marketing, referral campaigns, etc.
- Ensure follow-up outreach to event attendees
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and direct experience
- At least 5+ years of direct relevant experience
- A deep understanding of K-12 education and/or higher education, preferred
Skills Requirements & Qualifications
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to manage multiple relationships and complex projects simultaneously
- Exceptional project and task management skills
- Outstanding skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access
- Highly organized and a creative problem solver
- Proven ability to delegate and remain calm under pressure
- Skilled communicator with executives of any level
- Outstanding level of customer service and ownership
Benefits & Perks
- Full medical, dental, vision, life, accidental death, disability, and long-term care insurance, as well as employer subsidized flexible spending plans
- A retirement savings plan, including employer contributions after one year of service
- Generous time-off benefits including paid holidays and paid parental leave
- Matching Gift program to benefit charitable organizations
- Educational Assistance to further your professional development
- The facility is located in Stanford, California in a quiet pastoral setting near a hiking trail.
- Amenities include a communal kitchen (coffee, tea, and drinks provided), outdoor eating areas, free parking, and electric car charging stations
Permanent link to page: https://carnegie.sunnybyte.review/engage-with-us/careers/listings/managing-director-conferences-and-events/